Tuesday, March 09, 2010

My '98 Corolla: The End is Nigh?


A few days after our oldest daughter was born, we bought a more appropriate car than the two sub-compacts we owned at the time, a barely used 1998 Toyota Corolla. After nine years and over 200,000 kms, it doesn't owe us anything and is closer to one end of ts journey than the other. True, it may last until 300,000 kms, but as my very wise other half pointed out recently it would be nice to NOT drive a car until parts were flying off of it (or it needs to be towed out of our driveway).

I have started to try to sort out what our next car purchase. We have a 2009 Corolla with which we’re very pleased (yes, it had a recall though). Its primarily Super Mom’s vehicle.
For me, its pretty clear that our next purchase will primarily be my car and will be used. We don’t want to get into two new car payments at once. I have been thinking that it might be nice to have something with a little more cargo space and utility without breaking the bank.
Option one seems to be a used Toyota Matrix hatchback/wagon.

Option two might be a small-ish SUV like a Hyundai Santa Fe. All-wheel drive would be nice, but in no way is it a priority (as it would come with a mileage penalty for the limited time I would actually use it).

Please post your comments on your thoughts on these two choices. I welcome the input/rebukes.

B.

3 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Consumer Reports (they have an auto issue) and possibly Car and Driver (the website is good).

    The newer entry-level rides (eg Honda Fit/Jazz, Scion xB) offer outstanding value. I don't know how much space they have compared to the Matrix/Hyundai, or how many are on the used market, though....

    I'll try to come up with the dream car for ActionGirl and SuperGirl... ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- they actually want a van, but I trust you to come up with something far cooler.

    I like the Fit, but can't get an affordable used one and Scion is still not available in Canada, new or used. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I was/am thinking in the sub $10,000 range... Hmmm... Makes it a lot harder. :-)

    ReplyDelete