Wednesday, March 10, 2010

From My Mother: Her Typewriter

Its been three months since my mom passed away. One of the consequences of someone dying unexpectedly is that special possessions aren’t given to loved ones, or even given much thought. Ten years ago when my grandmother (mom’s mom) passed away, she had already put names on the back of many of her favourite things. Seeing her do that or at least knowing she had been assigning her possessions to that family was at the same time upsetting and comforting. When she was gone, we appreciated that much more.

With dad surviving mom, there is no rush to give things away or dispose of what we can’t give away. That said, my dad is intent upon purging the house. He’s not doing it in an unreasonable way- but is a reminder of how deeply her loss must have hit his own sense of mortality.

So, anyway, one of the things of my mom’s that I really wanted to have was her typewriter. Its a manual Brother Portable and my guess is that she bought it at some point between 1965 and 1970.

Here it is (now at our house):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment