Monday, April 24, 2006

Finding Lost


Okay, enough about the kids for a post or two. I am a huge fan of the television show Lost. I have been since the first episode of last year/the first season. Originally I'd probably started to watch more our of curiosity over Dominic Monaghan, fresh from his Lord of the Rings role. From the time Jack stumbled out of the jungle onto the beach and the crash site I was hooked.
Its been really great to have a show that my significant other and I are equally "into" as our TV tastes have been a little divergent since, well... since the X-Files.

Anyway, here we are almost at the end of the second season. Certain elements (like characters' "back" stories) are getting clearer. Here's what I think I've figured out about the world of Lost: (Feel free to argue/prove me wrong.)

(1) WELL I NEVER: The following main characters have "killed a man": Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Anna Lucia, Jack (euthanised the US agent that guarded Kate on the plane), Mr. Ecko, and Charlie (shot Ethan).

(2) "WELL I REALLY NEVER": The following characters think they have killed someone: Hurley (his grandfather and/or the people at the box factory that burned - both supposedly because of the bad karma of the numbers).

(3) THE MAP: The map that Locke saw is key and almost reveals too much about the Island. So, basically the Island is one big laboratory. The map refers to a number of events that we can only guess about:

12.07.81 H.G. DELEGATION INSPECTION
10.28.84 SUSPECTED SHUT DOWN DATE
1985 AH/DMG INCIDENT
4.08.00 STATIONWIDE FAILURE OF DHARMATEL INTRANET
8.15.01 STATIONWIDE FAILURE OF DHARMATEL INTRANET
01.06.03 STATIONWIDE FAILURE OF DHARMATEL INTRANET

They don't help a lot do they?

(4) SO WHAT'S GOIN' ON?: I've come to think that the survivors are the experiment and the Island and its effects on them are what's being evaluated. I can't believe that they're in Purgatory or that the whole thing is a dream. Either of these would be too limiting and disappointing.

Next post, I'll link to the map and where you can find it on the web.

B.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand how people have enough time to watch TV. I watch 30 minutes of TV during this time of the year. It gets crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lost. I haven't caught a single episode this season...aauugghh. There is no tv guide and I can never figure out when it is on....and now I don't want to watch until the end of the season, rent them all and get caught up.

    Keep posting. And yes, I remember the Elephant popcorn..that was goooood stuff.

    ReplyDelete