Thursday, January 25, 2007

Slip Slidin' Away

Last Saturday, Action Girl (soon to be six) had a birthday
party to attend in the afternoon. Unfortunately on the way
to the party I hit an icy patch unexpectedly and managed to
go off the road into the ditch. Unfortunately, we spun
around enough that ended up in the ditch facing the opposite
way we had been travelling.

Fortunately, no one was hurt
although there were four of us who were kind of stunned.
Someone drove by very soon after and Super Mom and the girls
got a lift and were only about 15 minutes late for the party
in our other car. I stayed with the offending vehicle and
had a tow in under 25 minutes. Yes, it's a yearly
ritual… Actually, it hasn't been for several years
I'm happy to say.

My question: Do you think a larger car/truck would have
made any difference? (as opposed to our small sedan…)
Please post your comments.

We did have snow tires (unstudded) and an excellent winter
driver (if I do say so myself).

B.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... well the stretch of highway between Banff and Canmore is often really messy and I see many cars ditched. I see 4x4's and minivans ditched more often than small cars, even though there are lots of small cars on the road. I think the big car drivers can get a false sense of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't think a bigger vehicle would make any difference. If the road surface was just ice, then studs would help but if it was snow / slush then studs would not help, answer is to go slower and avoid any sudden inputs, IE by braking, steering or acceleration.
    VY2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree with Al. Here in Northern BC we see a lot of vehicles in the ditches. I can't help but giggle as I drive by the SUVs and trucks driven by people because they "handle better in the winter". It is not what you drive but how you drive that makes a difference when driving in slippery weather.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear everyone is ok...

    A bigger car might actually be a detriment if it was rear-wheel drive (though personally I love rear-wheel drive).

    Were you going around a turn? Slowing to a stop? Or just tooling along at 60 kph along a straight-road?

    CC

    ps. I have never seen a comment from VY2 before, though it wasn't hard to guess from the nickname and writing style

    ReplyDelete