Saturday, January 13, 2007

A big change with the new year...

As a few of you already know, this was my last week of work with the job
that I've enjoyed for the past five years, three months, and 10 days
(but who's counting.).

On Monday the 15th, I'm leaving the wonderful world of child protection
and working for (at least) a year as a family therapist at a counselling
service for teens and their families (still through our overall
department). I'm really thrilled about this opportunity and the change
itself. I've been part of a very close-knit, dedicated team of
professionals. To give that up (even for just a year), I must really
want to do this. The position itself is someone's parental leave.


To be honest, eleven years ago in grad school this is the kind of job I
pictured myself doing.


I'll let you all know what the change is like.


On a note almost as momentous, I was invited to speak to the third and
fourth year psychology majors at my old Alma Mater. The idea was that a
psychologist (who I knew), me as someone from a connected profession
(social work), and someone who uses their BA (or BSc) in their present
job without a more advanced psych. or related degree spoke to the
students about what we do, how we use our under-grad psych degrees, and
how we got to do what it is we do. Clear? It worked out really well
and I really really enjoyed it. Its faltering to get questions
afterwards.


Gotta go- more later.

B.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new job Binky! I know you will enjoy the change and the people you help will be lucky to have you.

    Being asked to speak to a group of up and coming students to impart your knowledge...that must have been exciting. Isn't it great to see the energy they have...and to remember that we once had the same kind of energy.

    Let us know how the first week goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, B! We are all cheering for you

    CC in Stl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Binky - Good luck on the new job. I'm sure it will go great. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

    I've joined the blogging world - houseofdavinci.blogspot.com

    C

    ReplyDelete