Thursday, December 11, 2008

Decision Made

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to sort out a very difficult decision: whether or not to switch jobs. Yes, its the kind of decision people make every day. We make them and then we live with them.

Basically, I was faced with staying in my present position or moving back to a different job in our system, doing very different work. I had this job from January 2007-March 2008 (but was unable to get it permanently due to a really crappy, half-arsed interview I did- never assume you have a job "in the bag," kids).

The issues for me seemed to come down to the prospects of returning to a more glamorous job with slightly less pay as the bottom guy on the org chart. Or, I could continue where I am (and have been since 2001) given progressively more specialization, responsibility and leadership.

I'm staying put. I feel pretty good about this decision. After thinking about it until my head hurt and getting no where but a continuous set of flip flips back and forth, I had to go with my gut. I'm pushing forty and I need to continue on my path to be an expert in what I'm doing. I have a an utterly unique position in the province. No one else does exactly what I do and I'm doing new things all the time. I'm in a good spot to grow into a position of leadership in my team and my other option was to return to a place that had already rejected me. It was gratifying doing a decent interview this time- makes up for the humiliation I caused myself last time. But, I'm off (for now) to be an expert.

B.

3 comments:

  1. congrats on making a choice! I know what it is like to wrestle on end with stuff, and the sense of peace that comes from some (any?) resolution.

    Your current team is the ultimate winner on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are happy with the decision. Good for you. Moving forward and taking on leadership roles now and in the future is exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce - here is the recipe - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Christmas-Eve-Mice

    I only used a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and a smidge of shortening and it was lots of chocolate. Just make sure you have all your kisses unwrapped and cookies taken apart first. Plus keep your chocolate (i melt it in a measuring cup) placed in a bowl of hot water to keep it melted as you work. Colleen

    ReplyDelete