Saturday, July 14, 2007

My White Stripes Review

 Last Wednesday night was all stripy and white... We went to see the
White Stripes at the Civic Centre- I have to admit that never in my
wildest draems did I imagine that they would play HERE. It was a great
show and great evening, with a band I both love and respect as artists.

This was an amazing concert. Like perhaps no other rock act, their
actual music and musical style/perspective translate beautifully to a
live venue.
Also part of the experience for me were good seats (in section 8E), and
good company. It was an almost perfect night with a good meal
beforehand.

Dan Zidan was the opening act. I have a theory about opening acts.
Through it, I think I can picture what a contract for an opening act
must look like. It probably contains sections like "ways in the which
the opening act can only use the crappy coloured lights, " "ways in
which the sound board tech can/must throw the muddled sound switch," and
"don't sing as clearly as the main act." I'd like see Dan Zidan in a
solo show. Then I'll decide whether or not I like him/them.

Back to the Stripes... There's something about Jack and Meg that make
them more real in person...
Throughout the show, Jack's vocals were very strong. Meg's drumming and
signing (a little back-up and one song) were strong, as expected.

Here are some thoughts on specific songs:
- The opening of Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground then Icky Thump was
unbelievably strong and both were finished before Jack opened his mouth
to talk to the crowd.
- Jolene (actually a Dolly Parton song), is more pleading live, even
desperate live. I'm no longer put off by the fact that Jack is singing
the part of a jilted wife.
- Wild Orchid was sizzling- better than the recorded track.
- Cold, Cold Night sung by Meg. Wow... Far better live. Wow...
- Seven Nation Army- Jack did the bass line on his guitar- how? That
song is the masterpiece live that it is pre-recorded.
- Missing tracks: (that I would have liked to hear) Hardest Button to
Button, Little Ghost, and My Doorbell. I AM NOT COMPLAINING! The set
list was amazing.
- They ended the show with De Ballad of the Boll Weevil (a Lead Belly
song) with a good amount of crowd singing.

In a White Stripes-ish way there was a good amount of "showman-ship."
Jack's last words were "I thank you and my 'sister' thanks you." Jack's
relationship with Meg is well-known. She is actually the "White." (He
is a Gillis by birth). I'm uncertain about how to feel about Meg's
position with the band, for two reasons: 1) Jack is so dominant within
the band. Meg is indispensable, but Jack is the vocalist, guitar player
(and really the sole instrumentalist aside from the drums) and
spokesperson. 2) They are each other's ex-spouse and their jobs involve
a high degree of intimate collaboration and huge amounts of time spent
together on the road.

Meg's role within the band seems to exist along a continuum from
essential musical collaborator to very junior partner. Perhaps, I'm
being over-sensitive to gender in this case as I am a fan of their music
(and career), nothing more.

A great night with a truly great band. Blues based guitar-drums hard
rock as high art. Yay.

2 comments:

  1. The Maritimes and the Island in particular is getting some _crazy_ big acts these days! I hope it is part of a tourism explosion...

    I have high hopes for the Island marathon (and triathlon, one day?) as well...

    I remember in the 1980s the big act was Honeymoon Suite before a major record deal and the venerable Doug and the Slugs.

    I also believe that AC/DC cancelled in Halifax one time. That was nearly awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person who isn't really a White Stripes fan, I was blown away by the concert. To see just two people make the multi-layered rich sound that their music is, live on stage was awesome. On the cds you somehow think there is a lot of studio magic but live you see the two of them just at it.

    I thought it was a little bit loud, and the opening act I didn't even pay any attention to. I was just off in a dream world during him. But the Stripes were awesome and I am a big fan now!!!! And I have Binky to thank. Without him, I never would have gone. Thanks again Binky!!

    ReplyDelete