Monday, May 15, 2006

My Abandoned Projects



Here are some things I had hoped to do but never made time for, later thought better of, or just plain forgot:

(1) Writing a TV script for a drama about a small-town child protection (child welfare) office, its clients, and staff.

I’ve gone back and forth between making it a sitcom or a drama but it’s really better suited to a drama. Ideally, I’d like for it to follow a couple of social worker, a child who comes into foster care, and at least one family who’s just trying to raise their kids and escape their own stuff/issues/childhoods…

(2) Doing a coffee table picture book on the remaining one-room school houses throughout my province.

Actually, what I mean is the buildings. None are in use as public schools. The survivors are this amazing mix of derelict old buildings that won’t last much longer, private houses, and small community halls.

(3) Going back to school to do my Ph.D.

Not very bloody likely... Maybe if I could place our kids in suspended animation for 3-4 years. I don’t care what anyone says, cryogenic freezing for that long is bound to have side effects. Also, its hard. I'm not even sure where to put the periods- is it Ph.D. or PhD.?

(4) Changing my car’s oil and filter myself.

I actually can do it (I have done it with Dad), but:

A) The good folks at my local Toyota dealership do a better job,

B) They treat me well and overlook my lack of automotive knowledge, and

C) They have freebies like travel mugs and ice scrapers. Tomorrow, I may walk away with a "free" flashlight (after I pay for the oil change and whatever else needs to be done).


(5) Staying in touch with far flung friends and family.

Unfortunately for many people far away (and very near) I do not do a good job at staying touch. E-Mail has helped, but this is the only project I’m listing that I haven’t totally given up. Hey this is a start, right?

B.

1 comment:

  1. I like these projects... The one-room school house is a great idea. As for keeping in touch, blogs are great. I don't really know how many family members read my blog but it seems like people are getting some insight into my life away from home.

    ReplyDelete